Check out the key takeaways from Robert Harvey's press conference on Thursday.
Settling into the new role
Harvs touched on the transition from assistant to the head coach over the last week.
- “It’s been enjoyable. I've been here a long time so have relationships with all of our players. It's a good opportunity to build up my coaching and grow better relationships with the players.”
- “I see it as an opportunity. I’ve got good relationships with all our players. I’m really enjoying it. Hopefully we can win some games and momentum into next year.”
- “I’ve been doing this caper a fair while now and have evolved a bit. I’ve got a good passion for it. I’m relationship based and strong around how I like the game to be played. I enjoy what I do and trying to make a difference to young guys’ lives.”
Are we set for a change in game style?
Harvs was asked about what we can expect from the game style going forward.
- “The feeling around the place is that we’ve been building on our game recently. I feel we’ve been hard to play on and been building on our offence. It’s been trending in the right direction. We’ve tweaked a few things that we hope to get bang for buck.”
Harvs coaching style
He touched on what Magpie fans can expect from his style of coaching.
- “Language is different with each coach and how we portray messaging. We’ve all worked with game plan stuff together.”
Will Adams and Grundy return for Saturday's game?
Taylor Adams and Brodie Grundy both ran out Thursday’s main training session and showed hopeful signs ahead of selection for the game against the Dockers.
- “Both got through really well. There’s promising signs out of that and we’ll make a call later this afternoon.”
Harvs was asked how he plans to carry out team selection.
- “My philosophy is pick the best available. Played a lot of young guys and that’s been good for the club and they’ve showed some good signs. Hopefully we get the fruits for that going forward in the short and long term.”
Will Kelly up forward?
- “He’s a great talent going forward. We see him as a key forward and build his confidence up there.”
How's Mason Cox tracking?
- “He’s in the frame. He’s been playing VFL and been really good. His form warrants it. Definitely in selection view as it is for all.”